Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hair Accessories for girls- Cruly Ribbon Barrettes

I love cute little hair bows but hate what retail wants u to pay for the finished project. So I set out to make my own cute bows for my daughter for a fraction of the cost. The web is the greatest source when looking for info to make something. I found a great You Tube Tutorial on how to make curly ribbon bows and it was simple.
Supplies needed to make:
1. Ribbon 1/4 to 3/8 wide (FYI- when buying ribbon pay attention to how much comes on the roll. You'll need 1 yards to make one bow. Also sometimes the ribbon is cheap because it only has a few inches on the roll.
2. Dowel rods 1/4 to 3/8 round.  At least 10 (Remember the smaller the dowel the tighter the curly)
3. 2 3/4 Wooden Clothespins (spring kind/ see: pic below)
4. 1- Pack contains 12 brarrettes 40mm or 50mm metal hair barrettes.(see pic below)
5. Needle & thread
FYI-my dowel rods where 36" long so I cut them in haft to 18 inches.

To make:
1. Place your ribbon at the top of the dowel with a clothespin to hold the ribbon, next now rap your ribbon tight side by side down the dowel then use a second clothespin to secure. Cut the ribbon repeat until you used all your ribbon or all your dowel rods. I rap about 10 dowel rods at a time.
2. Now take a long cookie sheet cover with foil.
3. You'll need to wet the ribbon and dowel rods so you can use a spray bottle but I just run my dowels under water until all wet.
4. Place dowels spread out on cookie sheet place in oven on 200 degrees and heat or cook until dowels are dry. The wood from the dowels does give off a wood smell when warming but will go away after the dowels cool.
5. You will heat the dowels & ribbon in oven until dry.
6. Remove tray and let cool.
7. When cooled completely then slowly unwrap the ribbon. Cut your new curly ribbon to desired length.
 I like 2"- 3" inches long.
8. Take a needle w/ thread and place your ribbon piece through the needed in the center of each ribbon then run the needle through the ribbon several times tie off. I like 10 pieces of ribbon together it makes a nice full curly ball.
You can mix and match ribbon color and and make them shorter or longer as you prefer. Last I hot glue the ribbon ball to a hair barrettes.

This is the curly ribbon hair pieces completed.
2 3/4 wooden spring clothespin

40mm or 50mm metal Hair Barrette (I use these hair barrettes they hold better in my daughters hair)



I will post my flower hair piece soon.

1 comment:

  1. The most popular hair accessories are head bands and clips. Hair bows and ribbons are also very fashionable.

    hair health beauty

    ReplyDelete