Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kaitlyn 2011 Princess Butterfly Halloween Costume

So my daughter wanted to be a butterfly for Halloween 2011. Well no big deal right???  Wings, a black shirt, pants and antenna's.... DONE.   NO, I have to blow everything out of proportion. In my mind, my vision she has to be a beautiful angelic like Butterfly Princess with a ball gown, wings and ball mask.
Well it all started with her wanting to be a butterfly and me finding this ball mask at the Halloween Mania Store looking for wings and I fell in love with the ball mask and when Kaitlyn put it on she was adorable the bluish color with the silver and her pale skin tone she looked like a real everyday fairy book princess. So the ball mask was priced at $11.00 bucks but my Mom was shopping with us and I think she liked it as much as I did so Grandma bought the ball mask! Now the ball is rolling!


 Now I need wings and not just any wings... wings that will match, wings that will add to the wow factor! 
 I'll just tell you now I opened myself up to disappointment and frustration.  So my obsession to the prefect matching everything because I can not stand when things do not match and the vision I have along with my crafting OCD. Well I found a beautiful pair of wings online a little pricey at $ 24.00 bucks plus $9.00 shipping. So excite they look great and the picture appeared as if they would matching perfectly!!!! I ordered the wings that will just add beauty to the ball mask and my overall vision for Kaitlyn's Halloween costume. Well needless to say Kaitlyn has a expensive pair of play butterfly wings now!! Live and learn!!
This is the picture of the wings I ordered from a online web site!! Not what I got!!

These are the wings I received!!! Not like the picture above and the color completely off even the shape!!!
So back to the beginning on the butterfly wings!! I found these wings (white in color) at Jo-Ann's Fabrics used a coupon and ended up paying $ 5.00 bucks. Then I had to paint, glitter and added rhinestones the best that I could do to match them to the gown and mask. They did not look to bad with her ball gown and mask when completed!! I just do not feel my photo does justice to the wings. I should take note: Lesson learned over and over if you want something do it yourself that's the only way it turns out right!!


So I had to make a ball gown for the Butterfly Princess!! So back to Jo-Ann's and 1 yard of a bluish shiny material on sale $4.00 bucks for the basis of the dress. Which I made a simple tube dress with hem at the bottom and elastic at the top add some straps. Next off to Hobby Lobby For bluish, silver, teal, white and bluish sparkle tulle on the spool on sale 50% off. total cost $10.00 bucks. I simply doubled the tulle to the length of the dress with 1 inch added then sewed one inch down from folded edge and rotate colors on a piece of ribbon for the measured top of the dress. Then Pat Catan's I got 2 rolls silver ribbon and white feathery fur for about $6.00 bucks. Add the silver ribbon where ever there was silver tulle. Doubled ribbon cut length as tulle and tied around ribbon. Then I simple sewed the tulle on the ribbon to the top of the dress. Added fur feather boa around the top. Used extra left over dress material for a material flower then glued to a pin and pinned to the front of the dress on the fur feather part. I love this dress!! It was very simple! Turned out gorgeous!
This is the ball gown I created for my butterfly princess.

Then at the last minute when my daughter tried her dress on she asked, "where is my crown" back to the crafting table. So I have been checking out this Vintage Hair piece on ETSY for sale used the same concept to make head piece for Kaitlyn tea party. So I made a satin material flower, bluish shine material flower and then another extra flower from the left over dress material, crown, feathers, butterfly and tulle. Sorry but I could not get a great picture of the head piece.
Sorry about the picture but this head piece is beautiful!! Just the right touch! Now the Butterfly princess has a crown!! I made by using things I already had! Cost $0.00
So in the end the total cost with mask is $37.00 bucks. I did not include my mess up play wing in this cost since they have become play wings. I would have paid the same amount to buy a costume at the Halloween Mania Super Store but it would never look this good because the material they use is cheap and skimpy. In the end Kaitlyn loves her costume!!

Here is Kaitlyn's 2011 Halloween Costume: Butterfly Princess

I love it!!! Kaitlyn looks like a angel, snow princess and butterfly. I had tears how beautiful she looked in this dress! So did Grandma!!

I think her favorite part is the mask!!
Back view!!

Here's a picture of Kaitlyn's Halloween 2010 costume My Little Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee
This dress was easy just a simply tutu you can find the directions online even You Tube has videos on how to make.

This a cute and simple project. Micheals Craft store $1.00 bucket and vinyl lettering cut on my cricut!! I did add some black fabric to the inside of the bucket along with  ribbon around the handels. The big puffy thing is her wand.
Here's a picture of Kaitlyn's Halloween costume 2009- Wicked Witch


Here's a picture of Halloween 2008 My Precisious Fairy

I love this picture!!! This is my babies 1st Halloween Trick-Or-Treating!!!



What will her Halloween costume be next year?????

No comments:

Post a Comment