Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Turkey Shirt

So once again I came across the cutest thing online these shirts with a turkey and ribbon...so cute but just not willing to pay what the asking price is. So my quest to make one for Kaitlyn to wear since she must be festive for Turkey Day!!! 1. step simple buy a cheap white shirt (wal-mart $4.97) 2. Then you will need a  plush brown fabric 7"x 7"  2. Ribbon- I choose to go with 2 satin ribbons orange and burgundy in 2 different sizes. (you can get creative here)  Now on a piece of card stock drawl a 4"or 5" circle then a 2" circle on top. Should look like a snowman with the 2 circles. Use this pattern to cut the shape out of your plush material. Layout Ribbon and turkey on your shirt....when happy with ribbon placement pin down ribbon. Sew ribbon to shirt where the turkey will cover stitching when placed over ribbon. Next pin down turkey fabric and sew around turkey body using a Satin Stitched edge
(Satin stitched edge Рmachine stitched, satin stitch is a very tight zig-zag stitch that completely covers the edge of the appliqu̩) Use this same stitch in orange in a V for the beck and white for eyes. You can add feet if you like or the red turkey wattle. Still debating on embroidering Turkey on the bottom of the shirt????
Here's my FYI to you!
I used a plush fabric with little bumps in the fabric... I was going to use heat n bond to help my turkey stay in position better when I sewed it but when I went to iron it on it ironed out all the bumps...so scratch that idea. I ended up just pinning and run a stitch around the out side of the turkey close to the edge so when I satin stitched around the edges the original stitch would not show. If you make your ribbon feathers long you will need to tack them to the shirt so they do not flop forward when wearing! 3. I did not do this step but next time I will and I should of known better but use a medium weight interfacing on the inside of the shirt under your turkey to give stiffness + strength when sewing!! I should have known this before hand...next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment